Check your modem
- Connect devices such as desktop computers directly to your WiFi modem with an Ethernet Cable
- Older modems or modems made before 2009 used for ADSL are usually not compatible with NBN, so if you haven't already, it's probably time for an upgrade!
Any objects interfering with your signal?
Depending on the material, the objects around your modem may absorb or reflect the WiFi signal.
- Solid walls made from brick or cement
- TVs, fridges, microwaves, cordless phones and large electrical household appliances
- Metal panels, mirrors, cupboards, shelves and water.
What you can do:
- Make sure your modem is super close to your working area - the closer the better
- Position your modem in a raised and central area. Never put it on the floor.
- Aim for line-of-site with your modem.
How many devices are currently connected?
- For improved signal, connect your office using a fixed-line connection, such as an ethernet cable.
- Use a business-grade router - most have the capacity to handle 16-50 devices. (When making the switch to Central Telecoms, our team will set you up with our router of choice during the install - which is the Netcomm Business-Grade router.)
- Does your office often rely on video conferencing and cloud-based apps throughout the day? Consider using an Enterprise Ethernet service for a more powerful connection. Chat to us about it here.
How is your network cabling?
The cabling of your office and throughout the building has a significant effect on the speeds you may experience.
- Where possible, connect directly to your modem with an Ethernet cable for a more reliable connection
- Chat to a registered cabler about what you can do to improve your internal wiring
You may also want to...
- Ask the cabler to check the cables in your office
- If you're in an older building, check if there is a sign of any older phone installations
- Discuss the option of instaling an Ethernet cable throughout your office.
- Make sure to ask the tech to physically install your connection box in your office, or wherever you will use it the most.
Are your devices and software compatible?
Some older devices may struggle when it comes to speed and capacity when you switch to your new NBN plan. The solution usually lies in updating your software.
Chat to your IT professional to find out if your current devices will be compatible with the NBN and what alternatives may be available.
Connect your business to Australia's highest-rated regional Telco
Providing regional Australian small and medium businesses with access to quality high-speed internet.
Business PHone solutions
Say goodbye to landline phones with our cloud based phone solutions; powered and run solely through the internet!
Compliment your business savings with our affordable mobile plans.